PokemonGo has finally come! I’ve been stalking this for about a year, now! I was so excited about this game! And it seems that the rest of the world is, too. Everyone is playing it and those that aren’t are pretty annoyed at people who are, not unlike feelings about literally EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
Like I said, I’ve been stalking this game for about a year. And many people have only JUST found out about this game. So… What’s the big whoop?
Why Am I Excited?
- Childhood: I never got to play Pokemon as a kid, we really never played video games unless it was at my Grandmas with the cousins. They all showed me their Pokemon games and the trading cards and they even watched the cartoons while I was there. I heard all about Team Rocket and Ash Ketchum and Pikachu. Lots of it really didn’t stick. But my husband got to, it was a large part of his childhood. He gave away his Pokemon cards, even though now, several of them would be worth several HUNDRED DOLLARS. That’s right, CARDS WORTH HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS. That’s insane!!! I never got into it. My mom wanted me to play outside or something silly like that.
- Money: PokemonGo is free to play on a device that I already own! We really don’t have the money to get a NintedoDS (one of the only devices this franchise is available to play on now) or purchase the games. And if I wanted to “catch ‘em all” I would have to go back to one of the FIRST pokemon games; Pokemon Red or Pokemon Blue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Red_and_Blue. And then work my way up through the versions, transferring as I go. INSTEAD, I’m burning through my data like a pyromaniac with Bill and Hilary at the end of their term! (Okay, bad joke, but true!)
- Exercise: The whole app is based around MOVEMENT. This means if I want to advance myself, I have to get out and walk every single day. It’s the best way to catch Pokemon, just go on a walk for an hour every single day. Just around your neighborhood. The more afield you go, like hiking, the rarer the Pokemon are. I don’t hike, but a walk around the neighborhood should get me some high enough powered monsters!
Everyone else has their reasons to be excited for PokemonGo, wether it’s showing the franchise to your kids for the first time, revisiting your childhood, or being introduced to a new and fun way to exercise; there’ no denying PokemonGo is HOT right now.
But what about those of us who write for a living? What are we supposed to do with this new time suck. It’s worse than Facebook, I tell you!
How to Use Pokemon Go to Your Advantage if You’re A Writer
- Don’t Download the App; I know this sounds SO basic, but it’s true. Don’t play. Delete the app. Walk away. If you tell people that you’re not going to be playing anymore, they will be okay with that. I promise! If they’re not, they don’t belong in your life. Taking writing seriously is YOUR decision. Of course you can support your friends as they play, because they support you, so return the favor.
- Go on a daily writing walk, with a distraction. Yeah. Walking really is one of the best things you can do as a writer. Walking around and thinking about your writing. If you have a momentary interlude of catching a Geodude while out and about, whatever, good stuff.
- Observe other PokemonGo players. Have you seen how it transcends gaps? There are SO MANY gaps in our culture right now. Political, socio-economic, racial, generational, gender and sexual orientation. Those gaps are not going to go away without some hard work, but having a common ground doesn’t hurt. Because everyone is human doesn’t appear to be enough for everyone, I’ll take a mobile game. And it’s the perfect real world example of a Oasis style game for sci-fi writers!
- Give your brain a break. If there is something I’ve learned while being on haitus, there can be too much of a good thing and you can put too much stress on yourself about that good thing. Thats kind of what has happened with the #writingexcuseschallenge. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to do it! But I’m not going to BEAT myself up about it or try to catch up on posts. If I post, I post. If I don’t, I don’t; not a big. Just one day at a time.
So, get out there and CATCH ‘EM ALL! Just remember how to use it to your advantage as a writer. Always be looking for ways to improve your craft.
Also #TeamValor #TeamHarmony…